So, I am so so thankful that my fab friend searchingforhumor.blog nominated me for this. She is funny, a great photographer, interesting and her blog is truly special and totally different from anything that I have read. She is a great new friend in the bloggerverse and I implore you to read her material! You will thank me!! I can’t thank you enough girlfriend for this because I have never been nominated for anything through blogging. So yay!
The rules for the versatile bloggers award:
- Thank the person who nominated you with a link to their blog
- Share 7 things about yourself
- Nominate bloggers for the award
Here are 7 factoids about me!
- I was almost on the Oprah show in the late 90s! I know that almost doesn’t count, but I remember lying in the bed and my cordless phone rang (remember those?) and it said Harpo Studios! It was like 8 am and I had a sore throat and I could not believe that they were contacting me about being on their show. They had this contest of sorts where you had to write-up something about you relating to the topics. I guess they liked my writing because I was contacted about it! They interviewed me, and I thought that maybe they would have me on the show and do something amazing for me. I must have fallen through the cracks because I never heard back and when I tried to call the producer back, I couldn’t reach them! The same year I was called on stage at Iyanla Vanzant’s (Oprah’s then protegé’) tour-“In the Meantime” in front of around 4000 people and told my life story and it was supposed to go to video but did not. I am thankful that neither of these things happened because I was not in the best place in my life, so God saved me from tons of embarrassment! But my writing and my gift of gab almost made me have my 15 minutes of fame:P.
- I never traveled out of the country until last year! I know, I know. It took me until my 4th decade of life to really go somewhere. But I have always worked, a lot. I moved out to go to college at 17 and did work-study and then retail and at 18 moved into my first apartment. I never stopped working or being on my own. And then when I turned 30, I moved to DC then I got married (ugh) and had a kid. And though I had several opportunities to travel out of the country when my babygirl was actually a baby girl, I didn’t go. I couldn’t leave my kiddo and travel that far. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I just did not want to. And now I am going to Paris a month from now after coming back from Venice and Rome in November. Thanks to my wonderful guy, I am finally living my dreams. It goes to show you that it is never too late to do something that you have never done. We are already planning our 2019 Greece trip!
- I can relate to animals more than people, no really! I have a connection and affinity with animals that I just can’t find easily with people. I am similar in that I am often vulnerable, trusting, playful and at random times, plain goofy. I am the will make a u-turn to take a pic of a fox, or approach and speak to deer and freak out if the birds are out of food because of the squirrels. I am not crazy, nor am I Dr. Doolittle. I just appreciate the fact that animals are not malicious or vindictive. They are just pure of heart and want to be loved and are doing what they can to survive. It is hard for me to be close to people who don’t like or “get” animals. I missed my calling by not working with our feathered and furry friends, but I try in every way that I can to care for animals or give back in some way to benefit them!
- I have never really worked for someone long-term. I am a lot like my grandfather, who passed away when I was a wee lass, he loved working for himself. He went to the army at age 17 and a few years later, was in WWII. After the war he opened his own store and soon after, a very successful construction business. He was one of the companies that put the highway through the Shenandoah Valley! I have been doing my own gigs since I was 11. From washing cars to babysitting, I did it all! When I was in my 20’s (2nd try at college) I owned a cleaning business for 6 years while finishing my Bachelor’s. I did every aspect of the business from and what got me out of bed everyday with a smile was the fact that it was all mine. For the last 14 years, I have set up my own nanny/admin/marketing/pet sitting contracts too. Some people are uncomfortable not having a steady position, I thrive on the multiple income stream thing and have been doing it before it was a thing!
- Organizing is one of my favorite past times, it makes me so happy! This is kind of weird, but true. If I am sitting around and don’t know what to do, I start straightening and purging and trying to make things as aesthetically pleasing as possible. For some it is a snooze, but I feel that the more I get rid of, the better I will feel in my space and in my mind. When I minimize, I feel that I am helping to open up space in my actual living area and for my future endeavors. How can I create a vision for my future, if my present is all clogged up and foggy?
- Multi-tasking is how I roll through life. I was before my time with this whole “multi-tasking” spiel. Since 2011, I have gotten 2 Master’s, home schooled my kid for 6 years, worked from home while doing so, and exposed my mini-me to some pretty amazing things. I got her a big scholarship 3 summers in a row to a pricey drama camp in a prestigious location, she has been in an independent film and online commercial for NBC. She has also done videos for the Smithsonian! And I make a third of the median income here! There were many bumps for us along the way, (trust me) but I thrive when a lot is going on. This week, I have accepted a new contract job working for a cyber company 20 hours remotely. My nanny gig ends soon and my marketing job will also start 25 hours telecommuting as well, and I dog walk for a family 2 times a day and drive my kid to and from drama camp (80 minutes of driving) and working out!
- I am a day-dream believer. I feel like one of the reasons that I have remained happy throughout most of my life, no matter what my circumstances are, is that I believe in bigger things for myself. I day-dream about better or greater circumstances a lot, but I appreciate what I have. I know that God has put me on this earth to do something great and so I keep plugging away until it happens. Maybe it is sending my daughter to an ivy league school to become a famous director or filmmaker. Perhaps my children’s book will get published and it will win awards. There are many possibilities. I have struggled with self-worth and financial issues, and I know that I have yet to realize my true potential. But I feel with all of my being that there is a bigger picture than this very moment, and I am willing to live my life as fully as I can until that day comes when it all makes sense. Maybe my life will never truly be something easy to comprehend, but I am grateful I am still here to talk or wonder about it!
Now on to the nominees! I would like to nominate these fabulous blogs. They are very different, but also have something cool or amazing to offer the world. In addition to checking out the blog above and following her, please check out and follow these people as well! Some are new bloggers, and some are seasoned. But all are intelligent, unique and fab-imho! This was so hard for me because I love so many blogs!!
6 thoughts on “So yay, got nominated for the Versatile Blogger Award!!”
Awesome job with your post! Thank you for your kind words about me! 😊
You should have been on Oprah!! I feel the same way about animals as you. I feel like one day I need to be surrounded by them. You seriously know how to work it with all your jobs and so cool about your daughter! I think I might be a number 7 too. 😉
Thank you again!!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Lovely post and really interesting to learn more about you. You sound like a multi-tasking queen, that’s amazing!! Also I love the day-dream believer mentality, very inspiring. I also love animals, I could watch them all day.
Thank you so much for the nomination, I really appreciate it and look forward to writing it. 😊💛
LikeLiked by 1 person
Very much deserved! Congrats on the nomination and thank you so much for tossing it my way too! You definitely inspired me to get back at it. 🙂 Rock on!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Congratulations and I love your answers. I love animals too, so people laugh at how attached I get. I hate movies where an animal character dies so I refuse to watch them. My daughter turned out the same way.
LikeLiked by 1 person